After the conquest, land was given out in this area and as the stories go, hardly thirty years later, when the guanches “still jumped the cliffs at Lagarete en el Agua de Dios and dwelt in their caves”, the conquerors, already owners of the land, chose as their patron saint San Marcos, the evangelist .
The first parochial church was the one of San Marcos, built prior to 1530, because it was located between two canyons and it was small for the parishioners, so it was decided to relocate it.
The Royal Audience celebrated here two meetings while fleeing the plague epidemic that struck the region in the year of 1583.
It reaches its municipal independence with the constitution of 1812.
Places of Historical Interest
La Audiencia House
Prebendado Pereira Pacheco House
Convent of the Frairs of Espíritu Santo
Chapel of the Cross (Capilla de La Cruz)
Year of 1871
Temple of El Socorro
XVI Century. It was administrated by the Augustine community of the Espíritu Santo
Los Tacoronte Farmstead
Church of San Marcos Evangelist
Year of 1699. Enlarged in the XVIII century, its present day site is the same one of 1701. It features images of San Marcos and San Andrés dating from the XVII century, Virgen de Los Remedios, and an alabaster Baptismal Font from 1732
Los Zamoranos Facade
Los Cabezazos. Agua de Dios Canyon
La Librea de Tegueste